Virunga Lodge Rwanda
Virunga Lodge in Rwanda is a luxury accommodation facility located in Kinoni district. The lodge is situated on the shores of Lake Burera, offering its guests stunning views of twin Lakes Burera and Ruhondo, the Virunga Volcanoes and Musanze valley.
Virunga Lodge sits at an altitude of 2,200 meters above sea level with a clear view of mountains; Karisimbi, Mikeno, Bisoke, Sabyinyo, Gahinga, and Muhabura. The Lodge has 10 luxurious bandas, each with a private terrace from which guests can relax, watch the sunset and rise over the majestic, lush green valleys, mountains and lakes.
The Virunga lodge won the 2016 World Boutique Hotel Awards for being Africa’s Most Romantic Hotel; making it a great away destination for couples and honeymooners. Virunga Lodge offers its guests luxurious services such as; spa treatments, sauna, free breakfast, airport shuttle services, laundry services, a well-stocked bar, and Wi-Fi. The lodge also has a spacious parking lot with cameras operating 24/7.
The lodge has non- smoking rooms with a private balcony and with amenities such as; an individual fire place, a complete en- suite bathrooms with a flushing toilet, double vanity and shower with both hot and cold running water, relatively large wardrobe, hairdryer, a dressing table, 24 hour room service and concierge for all guests. The lodge has two deluxe bandas, each with its own private sitting room.
Virunga Lodge offers all guests checking into the facility, a 30-minute complimentary massage with extra massages at an affordable cost. All guests staying at the lodge have to check out by 11 am on the day of departure.
The lodge also accepts Visa and MasterCard modes of payment as well as cash payments in either US dollars or Uganda Shillings.
While staying at Virunga Lodge, guests can enjoy engaging in activities like;
- Visit Dian Fossey Map Room: Virunga Lodge has built a Map Room in honor of the American primatologist Dian Fossey, who set up the Karisoke Research Center in the Virunga Volcanoes. Her contribution towards the conservation and scientific study of Mountain Gorilla groups in the region has played a major role in our understanding of and relations with mountain gorilla species.
- Mountain Gorilla Trekking Experience: Guests staying at Virunga Lodge are blessed with the opportunity to track any one of the 12 habituated mountain gorilla groups available for tourists do gorilla trekking in the Volcanoes National Park. Tracking activities can take between 3- 8 hours with an hour of direct contact with the gorillas. Only a maximum of 8 visitors are allowed per gorilla group while maintaining a distance of 7 meters apart from the gorillas in order to minimize possible transmission of human diseases.
- Golden Monkey Tracking: Golden Monkey populations are greatly reducing worldwide with a large portion being found in Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda and Mgahinga National Park in Uganda. Tourists can enjoy sighting these mischievous and playful primate species while on tour to Volcanoes National Park.
- One Sheep per Family Community Project: Virunga Lodge in Rwanda started in June 2014, a community project called ‘one sheep per family’ which aimed to provide a sheep to each of the 140 families in the Sunzu community. The community is divided into 14 groups, with each group receiving 9 female sheep and one male which is rotated among the 14 groups after all-female sheep in each group have produced. With the generous contribution of guests, all 140 families have been able to receive a sheep. Currently, there are now 153 families under this project and each is a beneficiary of the project. For a guest to take part in this community project, they can make a donation of 40 USD which is equivalent to one sheep.
- Intore Dance Troupe: Guests staying at Virunga Lodge are entertained with performances from the Intore dancers and drummers in the late afternoons. Guests have the opportunity to get an insight into the rich traditions and culture of the Rwanda people, and they can even join in during the performance.
Other activities that guests staying at the lodge can engage in include; bird watching, volcano climbing, Lake Burera village walk, and guided nature walk.
Access to Virunga Lodge
The Lodge can be accessed by road from Kigali City which is a 3-hour drive to the lodge. The lodge can also be accessed via air from Kigali International Airport which is a 20 minutes flight by helicopter. One can also take a 1-hour flight from Entebbe International Airport in Uganda and then drive for 2 hours to the Lodge. There is also an alternative of a 15-minute flight from Kyambura Gorge Lodge in Kasese district to Kisoro district in Uganda and the embark on a 2-hours drive from Kisoro to Virunga Lodge in Rwanda.
Virunga Lodge in Rwanda undoubtedly a haven for any tourists looking to have the best time while on safari to Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda.