Nyungwe Top View Hotel
Nyungwe Top View Hotel is located in Buvungira in Nyamasheke district in the western province of Rwanda. The hotel is a 34-minute drive from Nyungwe Forest National Park and about 5 hours’ drive from Kigali city.
The Hotel was opened to the general public in February 2011 and is made up of two distinct compartments. The main entrance consists of a large, circular building with an extremely high and urban rooftop. The reception area of the hotel is well furnished with modern sofas and walls endowed with traditional Rwandan paintings and artifacts. The ground floor of the hotel consists of the reception, administration offices, kitchen, store, and the laundry room; and the second floor has the restaurant and bar with stunning views of Lake Kivu and the volcanoes at a far distance.
Nyungwe Top View Hotel was built on top of a hill thus making it have the loveliest breathtaking views of Nyungwe Forest and surrounding areas. The hotel has 12 cottages that have been constructed into two rows, with one row on the side of the sunrise and the other on the sunset side. Each side has a maximum of six red-brick cottages.
The Hotel offers its guests double or twin cottages, each with a lounge at the front, terracotta-tiled floors, a sofa, chair, and coffee table as well as a cozy fireplace which can be lit for guests on cold nights. The bedrooms are quite spacious with a comfortable bed, wardrobe, hairdressing table and a clean bathroom that has hot water.
Attractions at the Hotel
Nyungwe Top View Hotel offers guests unique sights such as; Nyungwe National Park forest canopy and rolling green hills on the hotel’s eastern side, Lake Kivu and the majestic mountains of Kahuzi Biega National Park on the northern side and finally large tea estate plantations and terraces from neighboring community gardens south of the hotel.
Activities Done while at Nyungwe Top View Hotel.
Given the fact that the Hotel is located 23 km from Nyungwe Forest National Park, there are plenty of activities that one can take part in both at the hotel and park. Activities that guests staying at the hotel can do include;
- Birding: The Hotel is located close to Nyungwe Forest National Park which is home to over 300 bird species that tourists can sight such as; Archer’s Robin-Chat, the Strange weaver, Chapin’s Flycatcher and Rockefeller’s sunbird amongst others.
- Chimpanzee Trekking: Since the hotel is situated within close proximity to Nyungwe Forest National Park, guests can book accommodation in the hotel when planning to go chimpanzee trekking the following day in the national park.
- Primates Safari: Nyungwe Top View Hotel is a good stopover for tourists who want to go primate tracking in Nyungwe Forest National Park. There are quite a number of primate species that guests will be able to see such as; black and white colobus monkeys, silver monkeys, mangabey monkeys to mention but a few.
- Nature walks: Guests staying at Nyungwe Top View Hotel can embark on morning and evening walks around the hotels gardens, the nearby tea plantations and even have guided walks to Nyungwe National Park arranged for them.
- Other activities that guests can engage in while staying at the hotel include; community walks, hiking expeditions to Isumo waterfalls in Nyungwe National Park.
The Hotel offers its guest amenities like; free parking, air-conditioned rooms, free breakfast, free Wi-Fi internet, 24- hour front desk and 24- hour security.
How to Get to Nyungwe Top View Hotel.
The Hotel is situated 2km off the main highway from Kigali to Bukavu. It is roughly a 5 hours’ drive from Kigali City and 30 minutes’ drive from the shores of Lake Kivu. The hotel can also be accessed from Kamembe Airport which is a 45-minute drive to the hotel.
Nyungwe Top View Hotel is a great choice for tourist who wants budget or mid-range accommodation while on a visit to Nyungwe Forest National Park.