Golden Monkey Trekking Safaris in Rwanda
Golden Monkey Trekking Safaris in Rwanda offer visitors a unique travel experience and can be a great substitute for gorilla trekking in Rwanda for those who can’t afford trekking mountain gorillas in the country.
Golden monkey trekking safaris in Rwanda are only conducted in Volcanoes national park, located in the northeastern part of the country. Golden monkeys are unique primates that are found in the Virunga Massif which are shared by three countries namely Rwanda, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The golden monkeys are active and playful which makes trekking an active activity compared to the mountain gorillas which are peaceful and gentle. Golden monkeys are territorial and live in groups of about 30 individuals and they feed on bamboo shoots, leaves, fruits, insects, shrubs among others.
Golden monkeys like to move from one place to another and do not leave any trace or evidence behind like the mountain gorillas which make golden monkey trekking easy because they live in lower areas compared to the mountain gorillas which live in steep slopes and the trackers will follow the leftovers of the bamboo shoots, leaves or branches to locate them and then communicate to the park guide where to find them which makes trekking an active and unique activity that shouldn’t be missed during your safari in Rwanda.
How long do golden monkey trekking safaris in Rwanda last?
Golden monkey trekking safaris in Rwanda start with a briefing at the park headquarters in Kinigi and takes about 2 hours to several hours trekking depending on their location. Trekkers move into the forest in search of the golden monkeys. Once the golden monkeys have been found, you will spend one hour in their presence learning about their lifestyle, watching them playing up in the trees because they are playful, taking photos and recording videos to show people back home after you safari.
Cost of Golden monkey trekking permit in Rwanda.
A Golden monkey trekking permit in a legal document that is issued to any visitor allowing him/her to trek the habituated golden monkey family in any destination. A golden monkey trekking permit in Rwanda costs USD 100 per person for all nationalities.
A golden monkey permit in Rwanda is valid for one day and allows you to spend one hour in the presence of the golden monkeys as you watch them jumping around in the trees, playing, feeding among others and it also includes the park entrance fee and the services of a park guide.
How to book your Golden monkey trekking permit in Rwanda.
Golden monkey trekking permit can either be booked directly from Rwanda Development Board a tourism body in Rwanda. The permits can also be booked via a tour company like Explore Rwanda Tours which will save you all the hustle. While booking through a tour company you will contact us with the dates, month and year when you want to participate in golden monkey trekking and will check out the availability of the permits and get back to you. You will make a deposit for the permit and also send your pass port details which will be used to acquire a permit and we will purchase a permit for you.
Booking through a trusted tour operator company like Explore Rwanda Tours is the best option because we will organize your entire safari which includes the golden monkey trekking permit, transportation, accommodation and other activities you can participate in on your safari in Volcanoes national park in Rwanda.
It is advisable to book 3 months in advance before the trekking date because sometimes they are competitive and get sold out like during the peak season in the months of June to August and December to February.
Best time to go for Golden monkey trekking safaris in Rwanda.
Golden monkey trekking safaris in Rwanda can be done anytime throughout the year though the best time is during the dry season in the months of June to August and December to February. During this period there is less rainfall in the forests which makes accessibility to the national parks easy and forest trails passable compared to the wet season when there is heavy rainfall which makes the trails muddy and slippery.
What to carry for your Golden monkey trekking safari in Rwanda.
- Golden monkey trekking permit, this allows you to trek a habituated golden monkey family therefore without a permit you will not be allowed to trek the golden monkeys in any national park.
- Long sleeved trousers and shirt, the long sleeved clothes will protect you from insects and also protect your body from getting scratched due to thorny trees in the jungle.
- Garden gloves, the garden gloves will protect your hands from germs, mud, getting scratched among others because due to steep slopes you will be supporting yourself therefore the gloves will be of much help.
- Hat and sunglasses, these will protect you from direct heat which comes from the sun especially during the dry season.
- Hiking shoes, the hiking shoes should be comfortable and reach up to your ankles so as to keep your feet dry.
- Waterproof jacket, this will protect from rain because it can rain anytime in Volcanoes national park regardless of the season.
- Warm sweater, the sweater will give you warmth especially during morning and night hours.
- Camera and extra batteries, the camera will be used to take plenty of pictures and record videos on your safari during the one hour with the golden monkeys in their natural habitat.
- A pair of binoculars, binoculars will be used to spot the golden monkeys and bird species from a far because both destinations are ideal places for bird watching.
- Energy snacks, the snacks will give you strength and also keep you hydrated during trekking.
- Insect repellent, this will protect you from insect bites such as mosquitos, tsetse flies among others.
- Waterproof backpack, this will be used to carry all your golden monkey trekking essentials such as energy snacks, insect repellent, permit, camera, binoculars among others.
- Walking stick which will give you support during hiking in the jungle
- Hiring a porter to carry your backpack and also give you a pull or a push in steep areas which can be muddy and slippery.
Conclusion: You can always combine your golden monkey trekking safari in Rwanda with other exciting activities such as; gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park, Iby’iwacu village community tour, Dian Fossey hike, chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe forest national park, and a game drive and boat cruise safari in Akagera national park. Please do inform our team of travel consultants in case you wish to add any of these activities to your tour itinerary.