Entebbe International Airport
Entebbe International Airport is the primary airport serving Uganda. It is the main entry point for all destinations in the country. The airport is located near Entebbe town, on the shores of Lake Victoria. It is elevated at 1,153 meters above sea level and is the only international airport in Uganda.
The Entebbe airport serves as a hub for Eagle Air and Uganda Airlines which are the country’s main airline carriers. Travelers may find it important that Eagle Air operates regional scheduled services and charter flights across East and Central Africa; with its second hub at Arua Airport, which is situated in the northern part of the country. So, in case you wish to travel to any destination in Uganda, using Eagle Air would be the best option of the two.
Entebbe International Airport is operated by the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority and serves the Entebbe town and Kampala Capital City. The airport is located approximately 41km south-west of Kampala City.
The Airport was opened by the British Colonial authorities and was used as a hub for the Imperial Airways back in 1936. Later in 1951, the airport was officially reopened following the expansion of its facilities.
Entebbe International Airport was featured in the popular Hollywood movie ‘7 Days in Entebbe,’ which tells the 1976 hijacking event that took place at the airport, where Air France flight 139 was hijacked by Arab-German terrorists. However, a team of Israeli militants managed to save the hostages during a successful rescue operation, dubbed ‘Operation Entebbe’.
Entebbe Airport is currently undergoing renovation works, which are expected to be completed in 2035. However, most parts of the airport are in operation and can be accessed by travelers. The airport has the capacity to handle a number of over 1,840,264 passengers using the airport.
The airport’s runway is 3,658 meters long and can accommodate a reasonable number of large, medium and small size aircraft. Travelers arriving at the airport will be welcomed by the beautiful scenery at the airport as you land. The airport is based on the shores of Lake Victoria, thereby pleasuring new arrivals into Uganda with the scenic beauty of the lake and its surroundings. Visitors can also have a clear view of the airport’s runway and Entebbe town, from a bird’s eye view, prior to your landing.
Facilities at Entebbe
Visitors can access a number of services while at Entebbe International Airport such as; fully functional automated teller machines, duty-free shops, restaurants, banks, a left-luggage office and forex bureau.
Airport Transportation: There are plenty of airport taxis stationed outside the arrival terminals of Entebbe Airport and visitors can hire these taxis to transport you to your hotels in Entebbe or Kampala City. The taxis have fully operating meters, so you don’t have to worry about being cheated when paying your fare.
Passenger Airlines serving Entebbe International Airport: Passenger Airlines operating scheduled flights to Entebbe Airport include; Aerolink Uganda, Air Tanzania, Eagle Air, Airlink, Brussels Airlines, Egypt Air, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Fly Dubai, Precision Air, KLM, Kenya Airways, Qatar Airways, Rwanda Air, Jambojet, Fly-SAX, Turkish Airlines, and Uganda Airlines.
Visitors should note the following when planning to book your air tickets for flights to Uganda;
- In case visitors wish to fly to destinations within Uganda, it is advisable to use Areolink or Eagle Air as your domestic flight options.
- Eagle Air has scheduled and charter flights to Apoka, Pakuba in Murchison Falls National Park, Ishasha and Mweya in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kasese district, Kisoro district, Semiliki near Semliki National Park, Soroti district, Arua and Yei districts in Uganda.
- Aerolink Uganda has scheduled flights to Masai Mara in Kenya, Kisumu, Bugungu, Chobe, Kasese, Kidepo Valley National Park, Kihihi, Kisoro, Mweya, Pakuba, and Semliki. Do contact your trusted tour operator in case of any inquiries and also get the best deals for your Uganda Safari.
- Brussels Airlines has inbound flights from Brussels to Entebbe with a stopover in Kigali, Rwanda.
- KLM also has some inbound flights from Amsterdam to Entebbe with a stopover in Kigali. It is important that you check with your travel agent in case you wish to board a direct flight to Entebbe Airport.
- Visitors using Turkish Airlines can board inbound flights from Istanbul in Turkey to Entebbe Airport with a stop in Kigali International Airport, Rwanda.
Requirements for entry in Entebbe International Airport.
It is important for visitors traveling to Entebbe Airport to take note of the following MUST haves in order to be granted access to Uganda.
- A valid Uganda Tourist Visa which you can acquire for 50 USD, valid for 30 days. Alternatively, you can apply for an East African Tourist Visa at a fee of 100 USD, which is valid for 90 days and will grant you multiple entry into Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda.
- A valid passport (Must be at least 6 months valid).
- Medical Insurance and endeavor to make sure that your medical insurance plan provides coverage overseas.
- A valid yellow fever card
“Do contact us for any travel inquiries and also book with us your Uganda Safari Tour and get to experience the best that the ‘Pearl of Africa’ has to offer you”