5 Days Murchison Falls Tour
5 Days Murchison Falls Tour begins and ends in Uganda with your destination being the renowned Murchison Falls National Park. It is the largest of 10 national parks in Uganda and it is found in the northern region of the country.
Murchison falls National Park is located in Masindi district in Northern Uganda. It was first gazetted as a national park in 1952 and covers a total surface area of 3,893 sq km. The national park has 76 mammal species and over 450 different bird species. This gives tourists visiting the park a great opportunity to view great sights like the Shoebill stock along with other wildlife.
Highlights of the 5 Days Murchison Falls Tour
- Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
- Murchison Falls
- Boat Cruise on Victoria Nile
- Game Drive
- Top of the Falls hike [optional]
- Chimpanzee tracking in Budongo Forest
- Hike to the lower delta
Day to Day Tour Itinerary
- DAY 1: Transfer to Murchison & Rhino Trekking
- DAY 2: Game drive and an evening boat cruise
- DAY 3: Chimpanzee Tracking in Budongo Forest
- DAY 4: Boat cruise to lower delta and an evening game drive.
- DAY 5: Departure to Kampala with an optional half-day city tour.
DAY 1: Transfer to Murchison & Rhino Trekking
- Transfer to Murchison Falls: On day one of the 5 Days Murchison Falls Tour embark on your journey at 7am from your hotel in Kampala and travel to Murchison Falls National Park via Masindi, which is a 5 hours’ drive to the national park and covers a distance of about 305 km from Kampala. Murchison Falls National Park is the largest national park in Uganda and found in the northern region of the country.
- Rhino Trekking: Stopover at Ziwa rhino sanctuary where you will be taken through the historic sanctuary and also get a chance to view the endangered white rhinoceros species. The Rhino sanctuary and wildlife Ranch is located in Nakasongola district and was gazetted to protect the low white rhino populations that were and still under threat due to poaching activities following the high demand for their horns on the black market. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary and Wildlife Ranch is under the funding and management of the Rhino Fund Uganda and Uganda Wildlife Authority. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary is the only place where you will get to see rhinos in the wild.
- Check-in: Proceed to Murchison Falls national park via Masindi and check into your Lodge, have dinner and overnight.
DAY 2: Game drive and an evening boat cruise
- Morning Game Drive: After breakfast on day 2 of the 5 Days Murchison Falls Tour, you will head for an early morning game drive which will start at 7am. You will board a ferry at Paara at 7am and cross over to the northern part of the national park which is endowed with a variety of wildlife. The game drive takes about 1-2 hours in the park and you can be accompanied by a trained park ranger. While on the game drive, you will get the opportunity to view include warthogs, buffaloes, and elephants, giraffes among others and bird species like a saddle-billed stork, majestic grey crowned crane, handsome black-headed spur-winged lapwings and many more.
- Boat Cruise: Return to your lodge for lunch and later proceed to Paara for an afternoon boat cruise which begins at exactly 2pm. The launch cruise upstream along Victoria Nile to the base of the falls. It can take up to 3 hours gracing tourists with spectacular views of wildlife species like Nile crocodiles, elephants, hippos, buffalos and some bird species like the white egret, marabou stock and shoebill stock.
- Hike to the top of the falls: If you are still up for it, you can opt to go on a hike to the top of the falls with your starting point being at the ‘devils cauldron’. Here the highlight of your hike will be the majestic Murchison Falls which cascades 45 meters down the Rift Valley wall. Do not forget to take pictures once you get to the top of the falls. This spot offers picturesque views of the Nile River and Murchison Falls. Later in the evening retire to your Lodge for dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 3: Chimpanzee Trekking in Budongo Forest
- Chimpanzee trekking: Have your breakfast and then head to Budongo Forest where you will be engaged in a day of chimpanzee tracking activity. While trekking through this large, verdant and tropical forest, get to explore the beautiful scenery as well as bird, insect and plant species. On this day, you will get to enjoy spending time with the playful chimpanzees of the forest. Later travel back to your lodge for dinner and overnight stay.
DAY 4: Boat cruise to lower delta and an evening game drive.
- Delta Boat Cruise: Wake up early in the morning on day 3 of the 5 Days Murchison Falls Tour, have breakfast and embark on a delta boat cruise. This boat trip goes downstream from Paraa and down the delta to a point where the river flows into Lake Albert. This launch cruise takes between 4- 5 hours providing you with an opportunity to view various wildlife like buffaloes, elephants, crocodiles and hippos as well as bird species with a high chance of you sighting the popular Shoebill stock.
- Evening game Drive: Later having your lunch at the Lodge, you will have an evening game drive which will give you an opportunity to see animals that you did not sight during your morning game drive on the second day of your trip.
- Drive back to your accommodation Lodge for your dinner and relaxation.
DAY 5: Departure to Kampala with an optional half-day city tour.
- Return to Kampala: This day marks the end of your 5 Days Murchison Falls Tour. After having a relaxed breakfast, check out of your Lodge and embark on a return journey to Kampala City where you can have an optional tour of the city.
Accommodation within the Park options: Pakuba Safari Lodge, Paara Safari Lodge, Red Chilli, and Murchison River Lodge which offer budget, mid-range, and luxury accommodation.
Please note that the above tour package is inclusive of;
- Ziwa rhino sanctuary
- Game drive
- Boat cruise
- Safari driver/ guide and 4×4 safari vehicle
- Hike to the top of the falls [ optional]
- Budongo Chimpanzee trekking permit
- Park entrance fees
- Accommodation and meals as per your itinerary
- Mineral water while on safari
See also: 3 Day Gorilla Trekking Safari