5 Day Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda
5 Day Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda is a fascinating safari tour that will get you hooked as you explore Rwanda a tourism hub in East Africa.
Your 5 days gorilla trekking safari will include;
- Kigali City Tour and this comprises a tour to Kigali Genocide Memorial, the Natural History Museum, camp Kigali, Caplaki Craft Village, and Kimironko Market.
- Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Nature walk
- Hike to Dian Fossey Grave Site.
Highlights of the 5 Day Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda
- DAY 1: Transfer from Kigali airport and City tour
- DAY 2: Half Day City tour and transfer to Volcanoes National Park.
- DAY 3: Gorilla Trekking
- DAY 4: Hike to Dian Fossey Grave Site.
- DAY 5: Departure
Details of the Tour
DAY 1: Transfer from Kigali airport and City tour
- Arrival & City Tour: Arrive at Kigali airport and a short city tour to Camp Kigali; where 10 Belgian soldiers were killed a day after the genocide killings began in 1994. You will also visit local craft shops like Caplaki Craft Village and tour the local markets like the Kimironko market. Have lunch and later transfer to your Lodge for an overnight stay and dinner.
DAY 2: Half Day City tour and transfer to Volcanoes National Park.
- City Tour: After having breakfast at your Lodge, you will embark on a half day tour of Kigali City. During this tour, you will visit historical sites such as the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre and the Natural History Museum. While at the natural History Museum, a guide will take you through its history and its founder, Dr. Richard Kandt, who started it as an administration center for German East Africa in 1908 till it was later converted into a museum in 2008. The museum has a lot of rich information on Rwanda’s geological and biological history and also shelters a stuffed skeleton of a massive crocodile that had been terrorizing residents of a local village near Lake Muhaze.
- Transfer to Volcanoes: Have lunch and then drive to Kinigi via Ruhengeri to Volcanoes National Park. The road to Ruhengeri is sealed offering the stunning scenery of the hills and valleys of this green and lush country, taking a little more than 2 hours. From Ruhengeri, we have a 20-minute drive to Kinigi at the base of Sabyinyo Mountain, with excellent views of the rest of all of the Virunga Volcanoes. Check into your Lodge for overnight and have dinner.
DAY 3: Gorilla Trekking
- Gorilla Trekking: On this day, you will go Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park. After having a hearty breakfast, you will embark on a short drive to Volcanoes National Park Headquarters. Here you will be welcomed by warm-hearted park guides and trackers, who will take you through the rules and regulations of gorilla trekking and later place you into groups. You will then proceed to hike into the forest where your gorilla tracking activity begins. Gorilla Trekking can take from 1- 8 hours depending on how easily the gorillas are located. Please note that while hiking, the terrain can be rough, muddy and slippery; hence you are advised to move with the appropriate hiking boots. Although the hike is physically demanding the beauty of the forest and surrounding scenery make the trekking worthwhile. Once the gorillas are located all fatigue is forgotten, as the experience is often described as being the most profound natural history experience in the world. Picnic lunches are provided and it is important to take plenty of water. Cameras and plenty of fast speed film are recommended. It can rain at a few minutes’ notice, hence you are advised to carry waterproof clothing, hiking boots, and bags for cameras and film. Return back to your lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
DAY 4: Hike to Dian Fossey Grave Site
- Dian Fossey Hike: Have a heavy breakfast and head back to Volcanoes National Park where you will go on a guided hike to Dian Fossey’s gravesite. While there, you can place follows on the tomb, where she was buried. Dian Fossey was murdered in 1985 in her camp cabin in a remote location in Rwanda. She was buried next to her beloved gorilla friend, ‘Digit’, and 20 other gorillas. You will also visit Karisoke Research Centre where Dian carried out most of her research on Mountain Gorilla groups. Later head back your lodge for your dinner and an overnight stay.
DAY 5: Departure
- Departure: We are transferred to the airport to check-in for your international flight. This will mark the end of what we hope was a remarkable tour of Rwanda.
This tour package is inclusive of;
- Airport pick up and drop off.
- Gorilla trekking permit.
- Park entrance and site fees
- Meals as per your itinerary
- Bottled water during your safari.