4 Day Gorilla Trekking & Dian Fossey Hike
4 Day Gorilla Trekking & Dian Fossey Hike is an amazing safari that will expose you to a lot of wildlife species in Volcanoes National Park. This 4 Day Gorilla Trekking & Dian Fossey Hike starts and ends in Kigali City the capital of Rwanda. The Safari that you are about to embark on characterizes activities such as;
- Airport Transfers from and to Kigali
- Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park
- Hike to Dian Fossey Grave Site
- Nature walk.
Highlights of the 4 Day Gorilla Trekking & Dian Fossey Hike
- Day 1- Arrival and Transfer to Volcanoes National Park.
- Day 2- Gorilla Tracking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Day 3- Hike to Dian Fossey gravesite
- Day 4- Transfer to Kigali International Airport and departure.
Day to Day Safari Details
Day 1: Arrival and Transfer to Volcanoes National Park
- Arrival and Transfer to Volcanoes National Park: Upon arrival for the 4 Day Gorilla Trekking & Dian Fossey Hike at Kigali International Airport, you will be warmly received by one of our staff. You will then embark on a 2-3 hour drive to Volcanoes National Park. Volcanoes National Park is one of the 3 national parks that Rwanda proudly boasts of. The national park is located in Musanze town, in the northwestern province of Rwanda. The national park is blessed with a number of birds and plant species. It is also one of the habitats that is home to the endangered species of Mountain Gorillas in the world. The others are in Virunga National Park in DRC and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda. You will check into your Lodge for an overnight stay and dinner.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park
- Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park: After having a hearty breakfast at your Lodge’s restaurant, your safari guide will pick you up from your lodge and you will embark on a 30-minute drive to Volcanoes National Park offices. While at the Park’s offices, you will be briefed by the head ranger at the park in regards to the Park’s rules and regulations, as well as gorilla tracking regulations. After this briefing, the head ranger will put you into groups depending on the gorilla family group you prefer to track. Mountain Gorillas belong to one of the seven habituated family groups and hence have quite a tolerance for humans. It could take about 1- 8 hours to track a gorilla group depending on how easily they are located. Once the gorilla group is located, you will be allowed to spend only an hour with the gorillas. While Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park, you will have an opportunity to enjoy a nature walk. Your guide will show you some of the bird and plant species that the park is blessed with.
- Return to lodge: At the end of your Gorilla Tracking activity, you will be taken back to your Lodge where you will retire and have your dinner.
Day 3: Hike to Dian Fossey gravesite
- Hike to Dian Fossey gravesite: Have a heavy breakfast and proceed to Volcanoes National Park where you will go on a guided hike to Dian Fossey’s gravesite. While there, you can place flowers on the tomb, where she was buried. Dian Fossey was murdered in 1985 in her camp cabin in a remote location in Rwanda. She was buried next to her beloved gorilla friend, ‘Digit’, and 20 other gorillas. You will also visit Karisoke Research Centre where Dian carried out most of her research on Mountain Gorilla groups.
- Return to the Lodge: Later after the amazing scenic hike, head back your lodge for your dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 4: Transfer to Kigali International Airport and Departure
Have your breakfast and check out of your Lodge. Our safari guide will drop you off at Kigali International Airport, hence making this the end of your Rwanda Safari tour. It is recommended that you check-in at the airport 2 hours before your departure.
This tour is inclusive of;
- Airport pickup and drop off.
- Gorilla trekking permit.
- Park entrance fees
- Meals as per your itinerary
- Bottled water during your safari.